If you start the server yourself, you will need specialized knowledge and a lot of effort, such as server installation cost and space, data backup, maintenance in the event of a hardware or network failure, and security measures.Considering such trouble, using a rental server is one of the options even for corporations with specialized departments. And it may be difficult for users to be aware that the OS (operating system) exists on this rental server.What kind of OS is used in the rental server? Also, what is the difference from the OS such as a personal computer that users usually use? This time, I will explain the mechanism and types of server OS.
1. What is a server OS? The basic configuration of the server is the same as that of a general personal computer, and consists of CPU, memory, and HDD, but the parts are for the server and have high performance. And it is the server OS that controls the server using these high-performance parts.
The server OS is an OS developed specifically for server applications.
Unlike a general personal computer, it does not have many functions for viewing games, music, videos, etc., but instead has features such as responding to a large number of connection requests, stable operation, and file authority management. There is.
2. What is the difference between server OS and client OS? The biggest difference between the OS (client OS) of the personal computer used on the client side and the server OS is whether the service is “provided” or one-to-many “providered”.
The client OS plays the role of running the terminal used by each user. It is possible to share files, printers, etc. with a certain number of client OSs, but the number is limited.
In addition, it has a user-friendly user interface and can visually process various applications.
On the other hand, the server OS is designed to handle a large number of connection requests at the same time and operate stably. Unlike the client OS, it does not require user-friendliness or various application processing, so it specializes in its role as a server. The server OS uses “CUI”, which is a user interface for inputting commands from the keyboard, as a base, and is equipped with management tools that are not available on the client-side personal computer.
3. There are 3 types of OS for rental servers. There are three main OSs for rental servers: Windows, Unix, and Linux. Of these, Unix and Linux are often handled in the same category.
Therefore, when introducing the type of server OS, there are many sites that say Unix / Linux or Windows.
Unix / Linux server OS includes Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Cent OS, Ubuntu, Debian, FreeBSD, etc.
On the other hand, Windows-based server operating systems include Windows Server Standard Edition and Windows Server Datacenter Edition. Windows-based servers are used more often in companies, and can be said to be a minor OS for rental servers.
4. Unix / Linux server OS Unix and Linux are the predominant rental servers, but what are the characteristics of each server OS?
◇ Advantages It is open source and technicians around the world can view the source code, so vulnerabilities are immediately addressed. Compared to Windows, Linux has a reputation for being more resistant to virus attacks, having higher security, and being less prone to malfunctions.
In addition, it is easy to operate even on a server with low specifications, and it can be said that the processing speed is fast.
◇ Disadvantages Since the application for Windows does not work, it may not be suitable depending on the environment.
Also, since the CUI is the main one, not the GUI that is easy to handle even for beginners, it will be difficult to handle without knowledge of commands.
5. Windows server OS Windows is said to be a minority among rental server OSs, but what are its characteristics compared to Unix and Linux?
◇ Advantages Since the GUI is the same as the client OS, even beginners can operate it relatively easily. In addition to being able to use applications that only run on Windows, it has the advantage of being able to easily handle programming languages such as C # and Microsoft’s framework called ASP.NET.
◇ Disadvantages Since OS license usage fees are incurred, system construction and server usage costs may increase.
In addition, the PHP and MySQL configurations required when using WordPress, which has been used frequently recently, may take more time than using it on Unix / Linux servers, which may be a disadvantage.
Summary The performance does not differ drastically depending on the type of OS of the rental server, but depending on the usage situation, inconveniences such as not being able to use the application may occur.